April 15, 2012

Masquerade work party!

Yes! That! My work is having their 10th anniversary party, and this year's theme is a masquerade! I've never been to a fancy work party, or a masquerade. A work party at CD Warehouse was us all drinking beer at Chili's. Ha! So I am beyond excited about this event! Can you tell by all of the exclamation points? They are very abundant! Very!

In all of this excitement, I've been racking my brain to figure out some cute ideas for my outfit and mask, so thought I would share my plans to get some opinions and input from you helpful friendlies!

The Mask:

I've been searching high and low for the perfect mask. I wanted something pink and black and girly. But everything I've found is either the wrong shade of pink, or it's a little too big and boisterous with lots of feathers, or it's a little too plain. Or it's really super expensive. I just haven't been able to find a mask that just stole my heart. So I decided to decorate my own! And I decided that I wanted to get extra cutesy with it, so I ordered a plain white mask in the shape of a cat face, with little puffy cheeks and all. If you can't find the perfect one, make your own, right? So here's the nekkid mask that's headed my way:



My plan is to paint it black and then add some white and light mauvey pink stuff to match my dress. I'm still working on the design, but I know I want to put pink roses and maybe a few feathers along the top or sides! I might even try to add some whiskers to those cute little cheeks, too. I plan on making a Hobby Lobby trip next weekend. I can't wait!

The Outfit:

At first, I purchased a ballerina-style dress from Target. But once it arrived, I started thinking that it might be a little too poofy for my liking. It's pretty voluminous, which isn't necessarily bad at all! I love it, and I think it's super cute. But me plus beer plus my already ridiculous amount of clumsiness will not mix well with anything large and obtrusive. I can just see myself knocking things over and catching the fluffy tulle on anything and everything in my path. So in rethinking that dress, I thought about possible backups. I had my eye on one in particular on Modcloth, and since they only had 4 Mediums left in stock, I went ahead and got that one. I think it's going to be a much better choice! But I'm keeping the other for the time being just in case the second one doesn't fit when it gets here.

And in keeping with the me plus beer equals silliness, I knew tights were an absolute must. So I found some super cute polka dot tights that I think will help tie in the cutesy cat mask with the lacy girliness of the dress.

As for shoes, I cannot walk in heels. Just plain cannot do it. I always wear boots, but I knew I needed something a little dressier than that. So I figured I'd compromise and try a bootie!

I'm not 100% sure about accessories yet. I might just try to find a cute necklace and that be that. There's already going to be a lot going on with the mask! But here's the final outcome of the items headed my way for now. Fingers crossed everything fits! (I already own a black 3/4 sleeve sweater, so I just grabbed a similar one for the image.)



I sent this image to my mom, and she loved it. So I really hope everything works well together and fits nicely when it gets here! If not, I still have the ballerina dress, just in case. So I'll be okay either way. :)

3 comments:

  1. The outfit sounds great! I'd love to go to a masquerade event. Imagine not fretting about makeup and being able to pretend everyone in the room is some mysterious hottie... even if it's Kevin from IT heheh ;)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fancy kitty masquerade costume looks super sweet! DIY costumes always turn out better than those store-bought, I think, because you can make it with love. I'll be looking forward to seeing your finished mask. Are you planning on painting it white, black, gray, or something different? Those booties are DARLING. Care to share the brand and model? Keep up updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful combination! You've got great taste(:!

    ReplyDelete